v : make numb or insensitive
Friday, April 15, 2005
 
Man Wants to Rename Mt. Diablo
I am all for religion and I am all for fixing offensive names. You don't like to say the name. Then call it the mountain and move on. I grew up going to Mount Diablo. Please don't screw up my memories because you have a problem saying the name. Dude let it go. I admire your dedication but I think your logic is a little misplaced.
Really this is America my friend and we can change things I know. However you would think it was American value/moral to ask yourself before you act, how many Americans are going to object? Does their inconvenience outweigh yours? What does God think of that? Please I want to know, because I don't get your miraculous logic.
Is this because you don't want to be known as the guy with the quirky thing about Mt. Diablo? I hope not, that would be really... Well silly don't you think?
Mt. Diablo has a website with a history section. I found an interesting entry, the Native Americans used to call the mountain the devil in their own language. Now that's just freaky that you wanted to name the mountain something that would reflect their actual heritage. Here is where your logic is just a little off; it already does reflect the heritage and memory of the native people. Your action would not be celebrating them it would be an act, in essence, against them.
Please for the sake of sanity admit that on this one sir you are wrong and back down. You are looking at changing the personal histories of so many people. Why does it always have to be about what "I" want why can't "we" be important again. Forget the labels, names, titles; when we all look up at it we see a beautiful mountain first. Some people see it in the same language as I do and some people don't, I can’t use that as a reason to try not to understand them. We don't always have to like the things others do but we should always try and respect them.

http://www.mdia.org/mtdiablohistory.htm
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger